I've read about it. I've talked about it. I've thought about it (a lot). But now I thought I'd just do it. So I went through the page template, ripped out the tables and wrapped everything in divs, dropped some position settings in the stylesheet, moved the main content up top to load first, and here it is.
It's not too pretty yet, but hey, I did it in a half hour. I'll polish it and get the margins right, maybe add some graphics. I haven't had a chance to put stylus to pad yet. In fact my new WACOM pad is some 6 weeks old now and I've hardly touched it, thanks to my most-uncooperative back, so I'll probably do the mouse thing, which is much more familiar to me, anyway, despite the theoretical limitations.
And so far I've left a lot of extra garbage in the templates and css files. I'd be more tidy, but I've been busy working on the site plan for a major community site (to be announced on the web design site) and a proposal for a robust non-profit site, and that leaves a little blogging time, here and elsewhere, and some selfish reclusive indulgence time reading The Da Vinci Code.
Besides, I plan on keeping this site pretty simple, so hopefully I won't get lost in tangent land and wind up with a dog pile of text all in one corner of the screen. And once I get ahead of the curve on those websites, and caught up on the big DVD project that has outgrown its intention, I'll really clean up the code and submit the theme to Drupal.
Anyway, if you see a glitch, shoot me a note. Constructive feedback is most welcome.